Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Heaven and Hell

A sweet - and very sexy - friend sent me this joke that I just had to share:

A writer dies and goes to the pearly gates. St. Peter says that everyone, no matter where they're going, gets a tour of Heaven and Hell. So they go to Hell first. All the writer can see is rows and rows of other writers, typing their stories on old, manual typewriters, while they are whipped and yelled at. He's really glad he's not going there.
St. Peter takes him to Heaven. All the writer can see is rows and rows of other writers, typing their stories on old, manual typewriters, while they are whipped and yelled at.

The writer is stunned. He turns to St. Peter and says, "What gives? It's the same thing as Hell."

But my dear child," says St. Peter with a smile, "In Heaven, you’re published."

2 comments:

Jude Mason said...

Chris,

I first saw this a few years ago and I'm sure I saved it somewhere on my computer. It's so true, in some ways.

There are times I think I'd be happier writing like I did for most of my life. Just filling pages with stories I wanted to write, when I wanted to write them. No deadlines. No editors. No one but me to please.

Then I get an idea and zip it by my editor and she likes it. How could I not want to please this woman?

We're all masochists. Praise sluts! I don't know, but the joke rings true and I'm not sure I'm pleased about it.

Hugs

mchristian said...

I so agree! I wish the business of writing wasn't so important to getting your work out there - or I wish I didn't need to get it out there and could just write for my own enjoyment but, alas, I've been tainted by getting published (sigh)